This is MOT
MOT* is a Norwegian organization which aims to improve the social environment and basic quality of life of young people, by teaching them vital life and social skills in diverse environments. MOT works both for and together with the youth.
The main objective of MOT is to promote the development of strong young individuals within a safe and natural environment.
MOT offers a comprehensive model for how the local municipality can work together with its young members. This model consists of programs designed to improve contact with young people at secondary and upper secondary schools as well as encompassing the arena of their leisure time activities. By the means of youthful interaction, exercises, stories, dialogues and role plays young people become more conscious of the importance of making their own decisions, taking care of each other and showing courage.
MOT’s approx 25 employees coordinate 4700 local representatives in Norway who are responsible for organizing MOT activities at the local level in their respective municipalities. Approx 60 000 youths take part in the MOT program in Norway**.
MOT is also established in South Africa (http://www.mot.org.za/index.html) where two employees and one volunteer coordinate approx 135 local representatives. Approx 9 000 youth take part in the MOT programmes in South Africa**.
MOT pilot projects are running in Thailand and Namibia (www.motnamibia.com)
MOT was established by elite Norwegian sportsmen in 1997. The two main pioneers were the speed skaters Atle Vårvik and Johann Olav Koss.
* The Norwegian word “MOT” means “COURAGE”.
** Figures per June 2012.
MOT has the lives of the youth as their core focus.
MOT empowers the youth to make their own choices and to show courage -
courage to live, courage to care, courage to say no
A warmer and safer environment for youth to grow up in
MOT’s main target
• We are going to help youth become more robust, make conscious choices and to believe in their own abilities (working with the individual)
• We are going to contribute to youth environments where differences are accepted, and where youth make each other valuable and significant (working with the group)
MOT’s core ideas
• Empower the youth to make conscious choices that result in them better mastering life
• Strengthen youth’s courage to take care of themselves and each other• Work with attitudes, focusing on values, choices and belief in their own abilities
MOT’s core assumptions
• Courage is the most important human quality
• Man is fragile and vulnerable - and a product of the upbringing and surroundings
• Man is robust and resilient - and can decide his own future independent of his past
MOT’s core values
• Courage to live
• Courage to care
• Courage to say no